Monday, June 6, 2011

Book Review: The Manga Guide to Relativity by Hideo Nitta, Masafumi Yamamoto and Keita Takatsu


Many years ago, when I was in Japan for business trips, I would often find myself hanging out in bookshops and browsing technical books. Not that I can read entire Japanese books, but I find them very informative with all the illustrations. Looking at illustrations alone and understanding the descriptions are sometimes enough for me.

When I found The Manga Guide to Relativity, my first reaction was that of skepticism. There is no way they can teach relativity thru Manga. Being a fan of Japanese animation, I gave it a try, just for entertainment value.

I was delightfully surprised that the topic of relativity was seamlessly integrated to a humorous story: Japanese humor + Japanese comic + science = a fun and informative read.

What I liked most about the book(comic book) is that it used simple examples to illustrate core principles in Relativity contrary to most Physics books in the market. But of course, not everything can be explained through Manga so there are a couple of pages that has more text but beautifully illustrated nevertheless.

How I wish this book was available when I was taking up my Physics subjects! I am looking forward to read more of the titles in the Manga Series:


I highly recommend this book to Manga fans who might want to learn while being entertained the Manga way

Book review rating:



[Disclaimer: I got this book for free as part of the Oreilly blogger review program I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Custom Search

Book Review Categories